Game Ten Recap
- Might as well just give Charlie Coyle his #3. Maybe not so much that he's legitimate (although he looks really freaking good at this level), but because I think there's this mindset already instilled on this team and maybe some youth is needed to break that.
- Who else is this close to just saying "dump the hangers-on and bring up Zucker and Larsson?" Setoguchi, Cullen, whoever isn't contributing. Look, its going to happen at some point, and this team needs a spark desperately. Give this team a spark, because apparently players-only meetings and "messages sent through line shuffling and healthy scratches" aren't doing it.
- Which brings me to this; why does this team lack a pulse year after year? We saw this same sort of apathetic effort all the way back to Jacques Lemaire's last year as Coach, all the way through the short-lived Todd Richards era, and up to now. There's no resiliency, and most importantly, NO URGENCY.
- By my count only three players have been on the team since that point (the last playoff appearance)- Mikko Koivu, Niklas Backstrom, Pierre-Marc Bouchard.
- In no way am I pointing a finger, but this sort of thing is happening under Mikko Koivu's tenure as Captain. Aren't leaders supposed to do something to turn the ship around? Why, if the team has essentially been turned over twice since that starting point, is this team continuing to just flail about?
- And the focus on getting "character players" is a moot point when you see the same nutless effort in what was billed as "a playoff game."
- One has to wonder if the team believed their own hype after the Summer and is crumbling under the pressure.
- Tired of the excuses- short training camp, new roster players, etc. This team is sucking hind tit, plain and simple.
- Here's a damning statistic- Minnesota only starts to take more than half of the shot attempts AFTER they go down a goal. One could presume that its because the opposition goes into "prevent defense" maybe?
- If I am Zach Parise (96 million!) I stand up in front of my teammates in the locker room and challenge them to out work me. To win every foot race, get every puck, shoot every time I can. He should be the gold standard for work ethic on this team.
- When a 19 year old and a 20 year old are your best players, that is an indictment and a half. That's why I say you cut dead weight and bring up more youngin's.
- Going to the net and scoring dirty goals is a good concept, but shooting into a crowd of people is not the same as shooting at a screen goalie.
- Finally...I wonder if Scandella was rushed back from his injury? I know its the same timeline as Brodin, but Brodin didn't have a groin injury. Either way, he hasn't been good.